Breastfeeding (Lactation Consultant) Service
The Lactation Consultant Office for breastfeeding is located at Winn Army Community Hospital on the Fourth floor, next to the Mother Baby Unit.
Your Lactation Consultant for breastfeeding is here to serve you. Our dedicated staff of both inpatient and outpatient providers, believe in a core system of care which encompasses the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
Using these ten steps and the United States Surgeon General’s call to action to support breastfeeding helps us to give you consistent care and smooth transitions from one consultant and/or provider to another. American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines© help us to give you the confidence you need to breastfeed your baby and meet your baby-feeding goals. We work from a set of assumptions which are shared values throughout Winn Army Community Hospital.
- Breastfeeding is the most complete form of nutrition for infants
- Breastfeeding protects the infant from a wide array of infectious and noninfectious diseases
- Breastfeeding improves maternal health by reducing postpartum bleeding and reducing the risk of premenopausal breast cancer and ovarian cancer
- Breastmilk: It changes us, at the cellular level from the beginning of our life through our lifespan.
With these things in mind, it helps us to prioritize you and your baby, for the very best experience possible.
We want to give you the information you need to:
- Initiate breastfeeding as soon after birth as possible, hopefully within an hour.
- Practice and learn the skills necessary to reach your breastfeeding goals.
- Enjoy the journey of breastfeeding with support and information along the way:
- Assist with latch
- Learn to recognize hunger cues and responses
- Adapt to changing milk supply
- Prepare for returning to work and pumping
- Establish and manage milk supply if baby is in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Our goal is to have every mom feel supported to reach her feeding goals!
One International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is available five days a week from 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. for patient care. We prioritize daily inpatient rounds according to need and make an effort to visit every breastfeeding mother prior to hospital discharge.
The Mother Baby Unit has one International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) available by appointment. Call (912) 435-7176. Patients are encouraged to seek breastfeeding help early when any breastfeeding concerns arise.
Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes:
1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 2 p.m. on the 4th Floor OB Classroom or on Zoom (Meeting ID: 1609297945, Passcode 258247. Please sign up in the OB Clinic.
Wednesdays 9 -10:30 a.m. on the 4th Floor in the OB classroom. Please call (912) 435-7176 for reservation. Bring your personal breastfeeding pillow.
Back to Work Breastfeeding:
Held on the fourth Wednesday, Noon to 1 p.m. Call (912) 435-7176 for more information or to reserve a space.
At Winn Army Community Hospital moms are welcome to breastfeed or pump anywhere and at any time, or the lactation stations - Please consult the Winn ACH Mother Baby Unit staff. The Lactation Stations offer a clean, comfortable, secure place for anyone who needs to use a breast pump or wants to breastfeed in private.